Dental Studies Centre
TAFE SA's Centre for Dental Studies provides career pathways with courses in dental assisting, dental technology, dental prosthetics and dental hygiene.
Our Dental Studies programs are nationally endorsed and the Advanced Diploma of Oral Health (Dental Hygiene) is accredited by the Australian Dental Council (ADC) providing evidence of consultation with learners, industry and community towards provision of quality assured and industry supported programs of learning.
Dental Studies programs incorporate innovative and flexible learning and assessment methodologies to reflect current philosophies and practice within the dental community and industry. An emphasis on integrating current science and practice is facilitated through competency and problem based learning methodologies that reflect required knowledge and skills for industry application.
The innovative methodologies include an on-line Moodle course management system that facilitates a virtual learning environment for all learners to access valuable learning and assessment resources to support their learning endeavours.
The Centre for Dental Studies at the TAFE SA Adelaide North Gilles Plains Campus was re-designed and renovated in 2008 to create a modern teaching facility for dental studies including an updated 36 station Dental Laboratory and a state of the art 28 chair fully functioning Dental Clinic.
The Dental clinic includes:-
- computer facilities in all 28 surgeries
- an up to date decontamination room which exemplifies best current practice in dental infection control
- 6 intra-oral radiography units with digital facilities and a demonstration area with an intra-oral camera
- extra-oral camera and large LCD displays
This high definition equipment is connected to SABRENet, the South Australian Government’s fibre-optic broadband network, allowing real-time and high-definition demonstrations and interaction with other institutions as well as local demonstrations in the clinic.
The SA Dental Service operates a 4 chair community service out of the TAFE SA Dental Clinic, providing TAFE SA Dental Hygiene and Dental Prosthetics students with a source of patients. Dentistry students from The University of Adelaide also utilise the TAFE SA Dental Clinic, working in collaboration TAFE SA Dental Assisting students.
The facilities at the TAFE SA Centre for Dental Studies provide a leading-edge environment for students to develop the skills they need to be successful in the dental industry of today and the future.
Studying a TAFE SA dental course will offer you the opportunity to pursue a career as a dental assistant, hygienist, technician or prosthetist.
Each vocation shares the oral health context, however, the individual programs are designed to identify and meet the workplace needs required by industry. These may include:-
- Professional practice and communication
- Dental health promotion, education and instruction
- Assisting the dental practitioner in the preparation for dental procedures, management of the dental patient and dental records
- Occupational health, safety and welfare requirements in dental practice
- Performing health screening and oral health analysis via extra oral and intra oral examination to prepare an individual treatment plan
- Assisting in, or providing preventive and therapeutic tasks to support optimal oral health
- Assisting or collaborating with a dental practitioner in the formation of fixed or removable oral prosthesis
- Working in a specialist practice within the dental context
Gilles Plains Campus
33 Blacks Rd
Gilles Plains 5086
Email: enquire online
Phone: +61 8 8207 1100
Security: 0403 586 517
Fax: +61 8 8207 1113
View Larger Map