TAFE SA is the only provider of the Diploma and Advanced Diploma in Civil and Industrial/Mechanical Engineering design and drafting in South Australia.
TAFE SA graduates from these courses receive regular positive feedback from employers and our students have won a number of national and international world skill competitions in Computer Aided Design. Lecturers are highly qualified and experienced in the engineering industry and their fields of teaching.
Studying a TAFE SA engineering design or drafting course will give you the opportunity to work in a range of engineering roles including;
- Drawing and design of building services including air-conditioning, fire protection systems, structural steel work.
- Drawing and design of civil works such as roads, railways, bridges, airports.
- Drawing and design for industrial activities such as manufacturing equipment, machinery, mining, mineral processing and materials handling equipment.
- Construction supervision and cost estimation
- Laboratory testing and quality assurance technicians.
- Technical sales and service positions.
Almost all industries depend on engineering drafting and design at some time, meaning that your qualifications will continue to be in demand locally, interstate and overseas.
The constant changes in computer software and hardware mean that you have the opportunity to learn new skills and or progress to a supervision or management role if desired.
Depending on the course undertaken, you will learn how to use Computer Aided Design or CAD to produce drawings and computer models for;
- the civil engineering drafting of structural steelwork and concrete, roads and 3D digital terrain modelling.
- the civil engineering design of simple steel and concrete structures.
- the industrial and mechanical drafting of machinery and power transmission equipment, the design and 3D modelling of mechanical devices.
Completion of the Advanced Diploma will give up to 1.5 years credit in some a University Bachelor of Engineering programs depending on the subject selection..
"My Diploma of Engineering studies at Panorama added significant weight to my success in securing this job. This course is well regarded in the industrial community, (which) reflects on the calibre of work and dedication by the lecturers and the quality of the curriculum…at Panorama” –Engineering graduate
TAFE SA has well equipped and maintained laboratories, workshops, and computer suites with the latest 3D computer-aided design software used in industry.
Panorama Campus is close to public transport, with ample library and computer facilities for student use.
Pathways from Engineering Design or Drafting studies include;
- CAD designer
- Site supervisor
- Running your own business
- Service manager
- Further study at university
- Management positions following further study and experience
Employers of Graduates
Past and present employers include;
AECOM, ASC, Boart Longyear, BEA Systems, Clipsal, Davey Pumps, Dixon Valve, Electrolux, Ellex Laser Systems, ETSA Utilities, Futuris, Fyfe Engineering, GHD, Hot Melt Packaging Systems, KBR, Louminco, Meinhardt PT Design, TMK, Tonkin Consulting, Milford Industries, Parsons Brinckerhoff, Santos, Seeley International, Tenix Defence, Department of Planning,Transport and Infrastructure.